Sunday 31 May 2009

100 mile day blog

Saturday 30th

Woken by a clattering at 5 0 clock am! (not good) I opened my eyes and through the cubbyhole window directly above me I saw, first a rope, then a flip flop and someone’s foot! I got up cause I couldn’t sleep with everyone clambering about on deck. Then the boat started tipping at an angle a bit like what felt like 90 degrees! I was pinned to the side of the boat and couldn’t move. Someone, I can;t remember who, very kindly made me a Bacoln roll for brecki. I got a bit cold so with a huge huge struggle,as still pinned to the side, about an hour later, with help, I clambered up the ladder to the deck. The whole thing was a little bit scary to me but really exciting, fun and very very very cool. I’d deff do it again! weyyyyyyy! We moored at 12;45 in Lowesloft. We had soup for lunch, I had chicken mmm. Then Iwent to have a shower. That was like a small wet room,cool.

We, all the 7 of us went for a walk along the prom, had a ice cream and flew the kite. That was good fun. Tonight we have being invited to dinner at the harbour. I had a jacket potato with cheese and some salad, whilst listening to the band start up. There were disco lights and we all went up for a dance. It was 60’s music, my favorite. We all had great fun. Fab Stuff!!! some local people to the club had dressed up in real 60’s gear. There were lots of great outfits and some one was dressed as Elvis Presley!!!!!!! It was very cool. Silly but fun at the same time. I really enjoyed it! We had to leave half way through as we have to get up at 5;00 am again and are sailing all day so we need our sleep. But we had a great night . My best night yet Lizzy.D

Sunday 31st

Had a awesome day today. We sailed 100miles! Very impressed with myself there was no vomiting over the deck from sea sickness today, unlike yesterday.......oh what fun I had yesterday when we were sailing. I discovered very early on that I DO get sea sickness and that when behind the wheel my driving is like a mad woman’s knitting!..........Lauren........

100 miles and 13.5hrs later we arrived today in Grimsby. What a fantastic day! The conditions couldn’t have been better - blue sky, loads of sunshine (we’re all slapping on the factor 50!) and quite a bit of wind. The 2 consecutive 5am starts were taking their toll and I found myself drifting off to sleep lying on the deck, but what a sight to wake up to - the shimmering deep blue sea (mostly it’s been a less attractive brown colour!) and no land in sight. Looking forward to exploring the sights of Grimsby tomorrow. Annelise

Today, as we sailed past the wash, we were completely out of sight of the land. This was the first time that I’ve done this, and I can see how it would be either an unnerving experience or a calming one. For me it was the latter. Surrounded by the constantly shifting and perpetually chaotic landscape of the sea was completely mesmerizing. I often go to the beach to read, every now and then looking up at the sea; today I tried to read at one point and would find myself reading one or two pages, and then staring at the sea for I don’t know how long, before realising that I had completely forgotten about my book. With no landmarks, detatched from everything but the boat and her crew, perceptions of time and space seem to dissolve, hours pass in minutes and vice versa. Any objects that we did come across took on a very mysterious quality, appearing on the horizon as indistinct shapes, and gradually taking on form as they approach, with their silence and stillness heightened by the lack of any activity around them. The one thing we saw for most of the day, other than the odd container ship in the distance and a couple of passing gannets, was an unmanned meteorological tower If we were passing it on land it would have come and gone before we’d even noticed it, but from the boat it was a brooding and eternally patient obelisk that seemed to have been left by some unknown hand for some unknown reason. Although, having said that, it was probably left by meteorologists, for meteorological reasons. Luke

1 comment:

  1. Luke, you've managed to put into words just why we go sailing. Great post. And Lizzie.D, good to hear you all enjoyed the RNSYC's 60's Night on Saturday. Come again!

    Peter Bell
    RNSYC webmaster

    ReplyDelete