Friday 17 July 2009

Scottish Loch swimming - it's great.

We’re now sat at the end of Loch Lochy - waiting to go through Gairlochy Locks and head along to Neptune’s staircase. It’s been an amazing couple of days with our new crew who arrived on Wednesday. Unfortunately yesterday we were not able to sail due to a lack of wind and the fact that Loch Oich is very shallow and narrow so we were limited to motoring in the channel. Everyone had a great time though and got to drive into and out of the locks. We moored up at a pontoon at Invergarry Castle, and with it being such a wonderul day it would have been rude not to have a swim. Three of our new crew were brave and ventured into the peaty waters of Loch Oich, closely followed by Cath and I. Cold as it was when you first got in, not half as cold as Loch Ness two days ago and it was actually warm enough to stay in for at least 5 minutes without starting to develop hypothermia. It was a very refreshing swim on such a warm sunny day - sorry to those of you living in parts of the country where I believe it has been tipping it down for days - it did rain here today! Had a lovely sail this morning along Loch Lochy, flying along at 7 knots with Joe doing a tremendous job of keeping us heading in the right direction. DInner on the go - burgers this evening, yum so musn’t keep them waiting. Karen out.

hi mum when we got to fort agustis we went to a ceilidh and we were listing to the scottish music and some people in the group were dancing but me and stewart wernt .thursday we went throught loch oich and all off the boyes went in the water karen and cath went to but non of the other went in. after that we went throught three locks .today i had to make brecfast and i made eggie bread.we sailed through loch lochy it was good because i got to steer the boat. tomoro were going to stay beside aplace called neptunes stair case and that is eaight locks going down . after that you will be happie to see me home hahaha . by joseph stewart.

The last couple of days have been very amusing with the boys on board. On Wednesday I said goodbye to the first group and met Stuart, Joseph, Ruairidh, Brandon and Michael (there are now more boys than girls!). Wednesday night I got to experience another Ceilidh, one where there was dancing involved, we all got up and joined in except Joseph and Stuart (I dont think it was cool enough). Thursday we continued down the Canal into Loch Oich in beautiful weather, some of the crew even went swimming but I wasnt brave enough! In the evening Stuart and I made pizzas, we had some very creative designs on the toppings. Today we woke up to rain, which wasnt good. However we got into Loch Lochy and managed to do some sailing, with some great work from the boys. We are now stopped for the night at the end of Loch Lochy, where tomorrow (my last day :-( ) we will continue up to Fort William. Dinner soon - burgers and potato wedges mmmmm. Fran x

hello i am having a great time on scarlet ostyer and with ruairidh went to a ceilidh fun i think....... i did do a few dances though lol and went swimming in loch oich it’s hard to swim in there i was first in well swimming in the water but it was great woot woot we are just waiting to go though some locks then we’ll be on neptens staircase oyh i can see Ben Nevis from here lolol.

Michael

Yesterday we went to a rare breeds farm, we saw Shetland ponies, donkeys, a chubby bull, highland cows and a goat with four horns. It was great. We then went out in the boat - I got to drive lots and I even parked the boat after the locks. I saw lots of swans and I was fishing - I even caught a fish - a very small one with the net. In Loch Oich I was the first person to jump into the water for a swim, which was my idea, and then everyone else copied me except Ruairidh and Brandon - they didn’t want to go in the water. Cath and Karen swam out to the anchored boat, Michael swam round the pontoon and I jumped in and out. We went for a walk and we saw a ruined castle, after this I went into the pirate ship on the bow. Fran helped me make pizzas for dinner last night - they were yum. Today we sailed down Loch Lochy and I helped Cath put up the main sail - it was hard work. We also went for a walk today and Joe and I opened one of the bridges over the canal - it was also hard work. Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment