Sunday 19 April 2009

Two weeks to go!

I've just finished my first week with the Trust on Scarlet Oyster. What an exciting week and what a difference a week makes. Scarlet was certainly very easy to spot in the boat park on Tuesday when I turned up - since I last saw her she has been all spruced up with her new colours and branding - looking tremendous. Down below she was smelling sweeter and sporting clean freshly painted bilges and a sparkling clean engine bay. Everyone had clearly been hard at work before I arrived, although there was still a lot of hard work to be getting on with - starting with anti-fouling the hull.

Now the anti-foul said white on the tin and on opening it was exactly that. However on adding some special granules it turned a lovely colour of plum!! On application it was very pale plum and I think we nearly gave poor Cath heart failure as she came back to a plum hulled boat. Anyhow, as it said on the tin - 'Will turn white on submersion' - we were optimistic that on launching the following day it would lose the plum colour and turn white again.

Wednesday was launch day - all very exciting as not only were we launching our home for the next 5 months, this was my first boat launch!! All went smoothly - and the hull, although not quite white looks really good.

Back to Southampton tomorrow morning, hopefully for the last time, and we'll take Scarlet back over to Cowes for final preparations. Exciting week coming up as we take delivery of the new sails and get ready for the photo shoot next weekend - can't believe this time 2 weeks we'll be off on our tremendous adventure!

Until next time
Karen out

1 comment:

  1. It sounds as if you are all getting on tremendously well Karen ! I have been following Ellen, her adventures and the Trust since the beginning and am looking forward to reading all about the coming season and seeing the photo's soon ! Thanks for starting it of with a lovely post. I can just see it before me !

    ReplyDelete